- Work independently or within cross functional development teams to fully define user needs and product specifications. Design, develop, and test prototypes and V&V units that meet these specifications.Participate with New Product Introduction (NPI) to assure product designs are producible in the CO manufacturing environment at the most favorable costs for the sales volume expected.
- Evaluate field input from Service and Marketing regarding product performance.
- Maintain a continuing liaison relationship with Manufacturing and Marketing functions to assure readiness to meet commitments of new business and to assure that production rates and product designs provide effective utilization of available manufacturing resources.
- Continually reduce product cost through design, process, procedure, and method improvement.
- Collaborate with other engineers within the department and across the organization on mechanical designs and activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems within standard regulations.
- Participate in vendor selection, sustaining engineering, QC inspection, and material review board activities.
- Assist other engineers and designers with technical input as necessary. At a more senior level engineer, may lead projects and provide technical leadership.
- Train and instruct other members of the department and the company as appropriate, by passing along skills and information to assist them in their development and advancement either with one-on-one or with platform training skills.
- Analyze problems and formulate plans to overcome challenges and to get work done quickly with a high degree of quality. Make sound and logical decisions and to choose the appropriate courses of action based on the parameters of the situation at hand and to use continual improvement problem solving skills.
- Understand CO'S business objectives and the relationship between the Department and those objectives; to support and follow the Corporate Vision, Mission & Values Statements, to maintain the services and quality levels set by CO, and to continually enable CO to be a great place to work.
- Understand, follow and support CO's internal Quality System policies, procedures and work instructions including but not limited to applicable external regulations (21 Code of Federal Regulations Part 820 Quality System Regulations and applicable International Standards).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - The qualifications below are the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 5-8 years of design experience with emphasis on product design.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Fluency with a 3D solid modeling package, preferably Solid Works. Ability to apply engineering principles using logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to find creative or innovative solutions for design of mechanical parts or assemblies.
- Excellent computer skills including operating Windows based personal computers. Ability to efficiently and effectively use Microsoft products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to clearly express oneself verbally and in writing in the English language using good grammar, vocabulary, eye contact. Ability to communicate effectively with employees and other business contacts in a courteous and professional manner. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to include strong presentation, project and organizational skills.
- Excellent customer focus with a high sense of urgency. Ability to provide excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Neat and professional appearance and outgoing people oriented personality which conveys pride in working for CO and which is demonstrated with a ready smile and a willingness to assist others.
- Able to respond sensitively to the needs and feelings of others regardless of position; to accept interpersonal differences, to maintain rapport, and to interact effectively with all levels of employees within the organization.
- Ability to function calmly in a fast paced environment managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to positively manage situations of a dynamic nature; to be able to modify plans, actions, and decisions in light of changing situations and circumstances while still meeting, or proposing modified, deadlines.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding, and the regular use of a time management process, which systematically structures one’s own work to provide for effective task performance and to plan and prioritize items to meet future demands.
- Ability to establish and accomplish goals independently and to function as a positive and productive team member.