The Software Engineer analyzes, designs, develops, and maintains software for use in or with surgical equipment. Position writes software for system level development, manufacturing test fixtures, and other PC-based applications. Position conducts testing utilizing existing test protocols or creates new ones as needed. The Software Engineer generates written reports and contributes to the intellectual property position of the company via invention and patent application. Position also maintains accurate documentation of concepts, designs, and processes consistent with QSR and FDA requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyze, design, code, debug, test and maintain embedded control system software and/or Windows based application software.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate internal and external software development resources.
- Generate design documentation including specifications, risk assessment, software verification and validation, test suites, test results, and other analyses in accordance with FDA ISO software design control requirements.
- Interpret technical instructions, schematic drawings, component specifications, software code, and regulatory requirements.
- Diagnostic troubleshooting of circuits, boards, power supplies, and control systems using oscilloscopes, signal generators, and/or logic analyzers.
- Adhere to CO's software development process. If in a more senior role, create and/or maintain software development processes.
- Collaborate with other engineers within the department and staff across the organization on software designs and activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving software engineering design and test problems within standard regulations.
- Assist other engineers and designers with technical input as necessary. At a more senior engineer level, may lead projects and provide technical leadership.
- Train and instruct other members of the department and the company as appropriate, by passing along skills and information to assist them in their development and advancement either with one-on-one or with platform training skills.
- Analyze problems and formulate plans to overcome challenges and to get work done quickly with a high degree of quality. Make sound and logical decisions and to choose the appropriate courses of action based on the parameters of the situation at hand and to use continual improvement problem solving skills.
- Help create an ongoing effort to improve the Company and the R&D Department through personal action and by contributing ideas to support both the Department and Company’s ongoing improvement efforts.
- Responsible for cleanliness, organization, and overall R&D department appearance.
- Understand CO’s business objectives and the relationship between the Department and those objectives; to support and follow the Corporate Vision, Mission & Values Statements, to maintain the services and quality levels set by CO, and to continually enable CO to be a great place to work.
- Understand, follow, and support CO’s internal quality system policies, procedures, and work instructions, and applicable external regulations (including but not limited to 21 CFR part 820 and applicable international standards).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Unless noted, the qualifications below are the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 5-8 years of experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge in C, C++, and assembly level computer languages.
- Software development experience in a Windows environment.
- Knowledge of systems control with embedded microprocessors, firmware development, gate arrays, system micro controllers, motor controllers, digital signal controllers, sensors, RS485 communication techniques.
- Knowledge of software engineering principles, practices, and techniques. PIC/MPLAB experience preferred.
- Ability to apply engineering principles using logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Excellent computer skills including operating Windows based personal computers. Ability to efficiently and effectively use Microsoft products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to clearly express oneself verbally and in writing in the English language using good grammar, vocabulary, eye contact. Ability to communicate effectively with employees and other business contacts in a courteous and professional manner. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to include strong presentation, project and organizational skills.
- Excellent customer focus with a high sense of urgency. Ability to provide excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Neat and professional appearance and outgoing people oriented personality which conveys pride in working for CO and which is demonstrated with a ready smile and a willingness to assist others.
- Able to respond sensitively to the needs and feelings of others regardless of position; to accept interpersonal differences, to maintain rapport, and to interact effectively with all levels of employees within the organization.
- Ability to function calmly in a fast paced environment managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to positively manage situations of a dynamic nature; to be able to modify plans, actions, and decisions in light of changing situations and circumstances while still meeting, or proposing modified, deadlines.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding, and the regular use of a time management process, which systematically structures one’s own work to provide for effective task performance and to plan and prioritize items to meet future demands.
- Ability to establish and accomplish goals independently and to function as a positive and productive team member.
- Ability to work effectively across multiple functions.