As an early member of the automation and process engineering team, you will lead the charge to develop complex automated systems and elegantly scale Co's ability to acquire high quality data. You will be responsible for the design and development of the entire set of technologies that will make up a state-of-the-art, next-generation enzyme design and evolution factory. You will help shape Co's long term vision for versatile automated solutions to support the indexing of enzyme function and stability across multiple dimensions, such as amino acid sequence, cofactors, post translational modifications, reaction buffers, etc. You will be in charge of finding technical answers to process problems and interface heavily with the other technology groups: machine learning, protein sciences, software engineering and mass spectrometry. You will use your strong background in mechatronics (software, electrical engineering, robotics, data analysis, etc.) to lead the development of novel, advanced systems supporting enzymatic sciences.
You will help grow a fast-paced, high-output band of engineers, hackers, and builders, and play a critical role in shaping the technical environment in which the automation group executes.
You will work daily with industry and thought leaders in laboratory automation, enzyme sciences, chemical manufacturing, etc. Through hard work and dedication, you will power the creation of the most advanced robotic systems supporting a revolution in chemical manufacturing.
As a member of the technical staff within CO, you will play a key role in shaping the technology culture, building world class technology solutions and evangelizing the use of technology across the organization. Core responsibilities include:
- Work closely with other automation team members and technical experts across the company to design and implement scalable, extensible, and maintainable technical frameworks, both hardware and software, for the 21st century synthetic biology laboratory. Including but not limited to liquid handlers, cold storage systems, integrated systems with robotic arms, etc...
- Integrate or build the best and latest in laboratory automation tools, instruments and technologies
- Design and develop new, automated and efficient lab processes, with the end goal of designing and scaling up production for the entirety of the world’s new enzymes
- Document technological systems and operating instructions for said systems
- Engineer end-to-end sample processing solutions, including liquid handling, compound storage and management
- Maintain requirements for software systems associated with sample processing
- Design, iterate on, and manufacture custom hardware fixtures needed to enable more efficient workflows
- Develop and perform IQ/OQ/PQ procedures
- Bring a can-do attitude to solve new and challenging problems in a high pace environment
- Be a key stakeholder in building an industry leading automation team
- Participate from the inside in the development of a high growth startup
- Perform other related duties as assigned and based on Company needs
- BS in Mechanical engineering, software engineering, biology, molecular biology, or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform independently at this level
- Experience developing robust sample processing pipelines or assays for manual or automated sample processing, including process controls and QC
- Experience with using, programming, and maintaining liquid handling robots
- Experience with general laboratory automation, process engineering, and/or system engineering in a wetlab environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with SolidWorks or other CAD tools
- Experience with creating drawings, process diagrams, BOMs, product specifications, engineering drawings, SOPs and other documentation
- Basic knowledge relating to proteins and DNA