Mechanical Design Engineer -
The primary focus of this role is:
- Provide leadership and mentor-ship to other mechanical engineers, driving solutions from a technical as well as schedule point of view and ensuring new products meet the quality, reliability, manufacturability and COGS goals.
- Mechanical and Opto-mechanical design of handheld products, Quantum Cascade laser-based solutions, and medical device design and packaging from requirements and architecture definition, through concept development and design to manufacturing of high-volume products.
- Generation and review of technical documentation.
- Reporting and presentation of data in progress and design reviews to peers as well as senior management.
- Proven experience leading a team of engineers in the definition and design of high volume opto-mechanical assemblies from requirements definition through mass production.
- Experience working with overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers, managing build activities including line setup, process development, part and machine qualification.
- Experience with common manufacturing & design processes such as: sheet metal, plastic injection molding, machining, fabrication of glass and plastic optics, flexible PCBA, and adhesives.
- Solid communication and problem-solving skills, ability to understand complex systems and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience using SolidWorks.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- 10+ years relevant experience in new product design and development.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Experience with precision optomechanical systems and their alignment and mechanical attachment and tolerance requirements.
- Experience with micro-assembly automation for high volume product manufacturing
- Mechanical analysis or modeling experience
- Hands on experience with optical and opto-mechanical hardware and test equipment.
- Hands on experience with CNC and other machine shop tools.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field.