- Evaluates complex manufacturing processes by conducting process analysis, applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials, conferring with suppliers, and soliciting observations from operators/production technicians.
- Develops complex manufacturing processes by studying product requirements, researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; and conferring with equipment suppliers. Prepares written and graphical work instructions to communicate manufacturing requirements to production personnel.
- Refines and enhances products and processes by applying continuous improvement and key lean manufacturing/production principles and techniques to critical or high-impact areas of production. May lead special projects for a variety of products and processes.
- Some formal and informal customer interface to present program status, including analysis of product failure, probable cause, and corrective plan.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, equipment layout and establishing and implementing design for manufacture and assembly plans. Assures process control and reliability for broad areas of manufacturing that may include supplier base as appropriate.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods, testing finished product and process capabilities, and establishing standards to confirm and validate manufacturing process requirements. Determines root cause of failures using statistical methods (e.g. design of experiment, statistical process control) that may result in changes in design, tolerances, or processing methods.
- Recommends and implements changes to manufacturing processes by analyzing production, labor standards, and material costs, reviewing production schedules, and estimating future requirements. Performs program reviews of technical issues at supplier base or assist suppliers to initiate continuous improvement processes.
- Recommends actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses. Analyzes, substantiates, and proposes changes in methods and materials with cost and quality impact.
- Works collaboratively with members from other departments to achieve common goals.
- Ensures maximum cost effectiveness and the reliability of manufacturing processes and workflow
- Works closely with manufacturing to ensure yield requirements are met
- Ensures products and processes meet customer quality requirements
- Provides producibility input and manufacturing plans for product design or modification
- Document new processes and process changes using ECR/ECO process
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Process, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Chemical, or equivalent technical degree)
- 3-10 years previous experience in a process engineering or manufacturing engineering role in a high-volume production environment