The Mechanical Engineer designs operating room equipment including patient support structures, electromechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic actuators, and accessories. Contributes to product innovation via out of box thinking and drive product concepts to production. Maintains current knowledge of competitive technologies including medical, technical, manufacturing, and materials developments as related to company products. Maintains complete, accurate, and timely design history documentation, including testing methods.
We are looking for you, if you have the ability to:
- Design metal, plastic, and carbon composite patient support structures for use in operating rooms meeting requirements for stiffness, strength, stability, reliability and cost.
- Design user actuated mechanisms and electro-mechanical drive trains to articulate these structures to optimize patient positioning, surgical access, and applied traction.
- Work with a diverse group of motivated individuals within the mechanical engineering team as well as peers in other R&E, manufacturing, clinical, marketing, and service teams.
Here is what you will do day-to-day
- Work independently or within cross functional development teams to design, develop, and test products that meet system specifications.
- Participate with New Product Introduction (NPI) to assure product designs are optimized for manufacturing.
- Evaluate field input from Service and Marketing regarding product performance.
- Maintain a continuing liaison relationship with Manufacturing and Marketing functions to meet and improve product needs.
- Continually contribute to product improvement and cost reduction.
- Participate in vendor selection, sustaining engineering, QC inspection, and material review board activities.
- Assist other engineers and designers with technical input and lead projects as necessary.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Understand, follow and support CO's internal Quality System policies, procedures and work instructions including but not limited to applicable external regulations (21 Code of Federal Regulations Part 820 Quality System Regulations and applicable International Standards).
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering; and 5-8 years of design experience with emphasis on product design.
- Fluency with CAD software, preferably Solidworks. Ability to apply engineering principles to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to create and innovate solutions for design of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with electromechanical design including motor selection, couplings, bearings, gearbox design, drivetrain integration, sensor integration, and electronics packaging.
- Familiarity with structure design via hand calculations and using software.
- Familiarity with mechanism design including cams, linkages, actuators, mechanical attachments, and jigs and fixtures
- Familiarity with design of mechanical user interfaces such as adjustment devices and touch points.