Manager must have 3-4 years of management or project management experience, be a team leader. A mix of experience in Semiconductor, consumer electronics, medical device experience is ok. Will manage a team of 5-7 engineers. An MS degree is preferred
The Mechanical Engineering Manager leads a team of R&D professionals who are responsible for the work production and quality of work in the design of operating room equipment. Position participates in program planning and has responsibilities to assign resources to drive projects to completion. This position possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of the mechanical engineering field.
The Manager of Mechanical Engineering position is responsible for aligning a diverse team around a clear vision and purpose while leading, inspiring, developing and motivating the team to successfully achieve individual and organizational objectives. The position also leads a team to accomplish departmental short and long term goals that align with the company objectives. The manager exercises a high degree of independent judgment on diverse and specialized projects; position plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the work of staff assigned to various projects and assists employees in providing them with appropriate career development planning.
Position is also responsible for selecting and trainings new professional and technical staff.
Manages exempt and non-exempt staff working in mechanical engineering functions including but not limited to: Mechanical Engineers, Designers, and Technicians.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee and lead mechanical design project management efforts.
2. Develop mechanical components, assemblies, and products to meet the company's operating room equipment cost, manufacturability, serviceability, and reliability targets.
3. Review product designs for compliance with DFM/DFA engineering principles, company quality and regulatory standards, customer requirements, and related specifications.
4. Coordinate mechanical innovation research, concept generation, product development, and project scheduling activities.
5. Resolve technical engineering design and test problems.
6. Evaluate and approve design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
7. Manage flow and progress of all assigned projects requiring Mechanical engineering action.
8. Assist engineers and designers with technical input as necessary.
9. Work with other functional managers, directors, and program managers, within the R&D organization, to coordinate program resources and project schedules.
10. Work with key core team personnel in other departments to release new products, sustain and enhance legacy products, and drive cross functional process improvements
11. Lead the activities of employees engaged in mechanical engineering by assigning, training, monitoring and reviewing their work.
12. Facilitate training at all levels whether it is within a specific level of expertise or ensuring cross-training across other groups to effectively work as a team.
13. Proactively identify needs, allocate personnel based on priorities, and ensure that employees have the resources to achieve current and future goals.
14. Proactively support and implement the continuous improvement efforts of the Mechanical Engineering team to meet the department goals and objectives.
15. Serve as a role model to adopt new methods, procedures, and techniques for the department, organizational and cultural changes.
16. Create and maintain a work environment that fosters a sense of purpose, urgency, involvement, engagement, and accountability to leverage the team to effective and efficient results.
17. Construct compelling professional development plans and monitor the progress encouraging team members to pursue development opportunities.
18. Train employees on safety, work instructions, and good mechanical engineering standards and procedures. Ensure a safe work environment is provided and immediately investigate and resolve any hazards.
19. Monitor employee time records and ensure employees are paid accurately and in compliance with payroll procedures and legal requirements.
20. Communicate openly, clearly, proactively, and positively to inform and engage employees in a multicultural environment.
21. Facilitate team meetings, cross-functional communication and decision-making, ensuring alignment with internal and external stakeholders.
22. Ask questions and actively listen to the needs of the department's internal and external customers; consider the impact of the department on other departments and work to follow through and resolve internal and external customer service challenges promptly.
23. Mentor and develop employees giving timely and constructive feedback, explaining rationale and thought process to help employees improve their skills. Document their performance in the annual Focal Review performance evaluation process.
24. Solicit ideas and opinions; empower employees and recognize their positive contributions.
25. Responsible for cleanliness, organization, and overall Department's appearance.
26. Be an independent employee able to analyze problems and formulate plans to overcome challenges and to get work done quickly with a high degree of quality. To make sound and logical decisions and to choose the appropriate courses of action based on the parameters of the situation at hand and to use continual improvement problem solving skills.
27. Help create an ongoing effort to improve the Company and the Department through personal action and by contributing ideas to support both the Department and Company's ongoing improvement efforts.
28. At times, may be required to act as a lead mechanical engineer designing operating room equipment including structural piece part and subassembly designs, electro-mechanical drive trains, user touch points (patients, physicians, and support staff), and complete systems.
29. Build a cohesive cross functional team and provide the leadership necessary to motivate employees cross functionally to achieve company defined initiatives.
30. As a member of the management team, contribute towards the development and accomplishment of the R&D strategic direction.
31. Work closely with Human Resources to resolve employee relation activities, including hiring, on-boarding, training, performance management, coaching, disciplinary actions, leaves of absence, and separations from employment.
32.Recruit, train and develop a professional organization that can easily react to changing priorities and requirements in accordance with the company's goals and objectives.
33. Manage resources to support schedules, priorities and customers.
34. Understand Mizuho OSI's business objectives and the relationship between the R&D Department and those objectives; to support and follow the Corporate Vision, Mission & Values Statements and to maintain the services and quality levels set by Mizuho OSI and to continually enable the company to be a great place to work.
35. Understand, follow and support Mizuho OSI's internal Quality System policies, procedures and work instructions including but not limited to applicable external regulations (21 Code of Federal Regulations Part 820 Quality System Regulations and applicable International Standards).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - The qualifications below are the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Manager: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering or related field; five to eight years of design experience with emphasis on product design; four years’ experience in a supervisory capacity preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Senior Manager: In addition to the above, seven to ten years of mechanical design experience with emphasis on product design with at least five years in a management capacity; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to use CAD equipment, SolidWorks preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, engage, motivate, and develop employees directly reporting to this position as well as cross functionall
- Ability to gain cooperation of other functional groups within the company, establish and maintain good working relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Excellent facilitation skills, including the ability to create presentations and facilitate effective group presentations. Must be effective in presenting materials internally, externally, and at senior levels, including Executives.
- Excellent customer focus with a high sense of urgency. Ability to provide excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly professional and consistent exercise of good judgment while maintaining a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity at all times. Must be able to think strategically and function tactically and positively creating a highly productive work environment.
- Ability to function calmly in a fast paced environment managing multiple priorities simultaneously. To be able to positively manage situations of a dynamic nature; to be able to modify plans, actions, and decisions in light of changing situations and circumstances while still meeting, or proposing modified, deadlines.
- Ability to clearly and effectively express oneself through written means, to properly use such technical factors as grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and correct spelling. To be able to prepare business documents, and reports. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation, project and organizational skills.
- Neat and professional appearance and outgoing people oriented personality which conveys pride in working for Mizuho OSI and which is demonstrated with a ready smile and a willingness to assist others.
- To respond sensitively to the needs and feelings of others regardless of position; to accept interpersonal differences, to maintain rapport, and to interact effectively with all levels of employees within the organization.
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding, and the regular use of a time management process, which systematically structures one’s own work to provide for effective task performance and to plan and prioritize items to meet future demands.
- Ability to establish and accomplish goals independently and to function as a positive and productive team member